Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Odes on Wednesday

I had a great weekend in Glacier. Today I thought it was appropriate to go all Neruda and do some odes, open letter style.*

Dear Legs,
Thank you for not giving up! I know it was a close call with all that walking and hauling of my inordinately large body. It's appropriate to say, 'Kudos to you, kids!' because you didn't give up and you're even allowing me to move you again, now that it's Tuesday. Go quads! Calves forever! Knees rule!

Love, Mom



Dear Cars Full of College Guys,

Listen. I know that feminism is kicking the butt of chivalry. I get that you've each probably been given a dirty look for holding a door for the wrong woman. But hell! It's a flat tire in the middle of a national park! You could at least slow down.

Just a suggestion, The Girl Who Had Her Head Stuck Under The Car Trying To Find A Jack Point



To my tow truck driver,

Thank you for providing a glimpse into the backwoods of Montana! Without your decision to bring my car and I along on such an adventure, we never would have discovered that backwoods poodle mill or the very old guy who is clearly hoarding granite counter tops for the second coming. Who knew that hermits had AAA? Not me!

Thanks for the enlightenment, The Girl Clinging To The Door And Praying


Memo to my Primitive Inner Woman:

We! Made! Fire!
With wet wood, even. Good job you sexy, pronounced forehead girl! Go find your club and see about that man we saw on the trail.

Love, Your Barely More Advanced Version



Dear Financial Aid Office,

I didn't think anyone could spoil my mood after the weekend but you managed. Thank you for the reminder about gravity. Don't worry. I hiked 11.6 miles while weighing, like, 498 pounds. You can't keep me down! I'll be just fine without you.

Kiss off, The Girl Who Knows It's Really Her Bad Planning But Is Not About To Admit It


To my lovely Glacier,
I miss you already, sexy! I smiled when I made that turn off Hwy 2 into you in August. Don't worry. I won't stay away long again. You're too dynamic, beautiful, clarifying and, if I may sing to you for a moment, "Yoooouuuu make meee feeeeel likkkee a naaattuurrall wooomannnnnn!"

All my love, energy and s'more! Your Favorite Daughter






*Recently my kitten has become fascinated with the cursor. As I started to write this he hopped up on my desk, sat down between my arms and started trying to 'catch' it. What a weird kid! Just like his momma.

4 comments:

- Tristin - said...

It sounds like an adventure for sure! Really I didn't think it was possible to "be in stitches" and peeing my pants at the same time! I love your posts!


p.s. (I fixed your dilema with the ampersand! Hope you like it! ...and by the way...I always thought it was ampersTand~ :S )

Boo said...

Nice! I love Neruda. Remember when Le Corey read me Neruda in Spanish while he made me dinner? Remember how much I miss that? Aghh!
Sorry. What I mean to say is I love this post and I love Glacier too.

molly said...

Oh my gosh! I love it. Thank you for referencing old Pablo. You crack me up. Thanks for the comedic break.

[alisar] said...

This post is hi-freakin'-larious.