Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Contingency Planning

I'm dating someone. There. I said it out loud. And, here's the thing, he's gainfully employed, smart, taller and older than me. He enjoys ridiculous things like "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories" and really bad joke about frogs stapled to chickens. All of those things are great, it's true, and to top it all off he's also Mormon.

Perfect? Nope. Close enough to be making a case for ...you know...whatever? Um, yeah!

Yes, he knows that. Yes, he's aware that I discuss most everything in public.

But he's not the focus of this blog. You just have to know about him to understand my dilemma--what if this actually worked?!

You see, when I'm in relationships with a clear, major flaw I am able to function. I understand how to 'overcome' in relationship and how to work when they end, right? That's not new territory. I have friends, support and the knowledge that the world will always keep moving. So not a scary prospect. Annoying, painful and lots of other things--but not scary.

Now, the alternative?! That's scary. How does that even work? And, when you're talking about two decisive, employed, seasoned, smart people, can it really be so simple and just doing it*? Aren't there some glaring complications other than "who will win the war of the superior couch?"




*I heard it, sicko. I mean the 'm' word or making a decision, something like that. Good grief I have really twisted friends.

1 comment:

molly said...

Ahhh Steph, I was laughing out loud before I finished reading the first line.

You're making it too complicated. It's really simple. Being #(*@&! is so much better than the alternative. Don't over think it.