Friday, October 3, 2008

Why so quiet, good Monsieur?

I'm not one to blog on political topics. In general I believe myself to be under-educated on all things financial and political. Recently it's come to my attention that I have got to be educated--it's the only option for survival.

Yes, I live in Montana and some of my best friends here are what you'd call 'survivalists.' They are convinced the country is headed to financial collapse and an unprecedented depression. I happen to have a friend in DC who shares their opinions--as you know if you're connected to him on Facebook and read his notes.

This type of talk overwhelms me to a degree I find it hard to express. I'm single. I have virtually no savings. Currently my only income is governmental. While I'm within a hairs breadth of finishing my education, it's not done. I have no food storage save what would last me about a week.

Thank God for my camping gear!

I can't help, surrounded by all this very logical talk of depression with which I happen to agree almost totally, but wonder how to improve my situation. And then be daunted by the answers I come to. As it turns out, I just need to follow the advice I've already been given and use what resources I do have to bring my house in order.

I think this is a time for faith and action. In order to maintain any type of hope for my future I have to believe that America won't become Zimbabwe and I have to cut what I can from my current budget and use it to prepare. It may not be all wine and roses but it feels so essential to be able to provide for my own little family of one that I can't ignore the call.

I promise the next blog will be more cheery. After all, we'll be bailed out.

*snort*

No comments: