Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Treasures of Trash

That's what my Mom calls the boxes of papers and memories in her attic. And we love her for it because despite her words, they're there.

Tonight I was going through some of what I have here with me and I found a print-out from the State Fair in Sacramento. In olden days we each got to spend a week alone with Grandma and Grandpa Harbour. As any of my siblings will tell you, those are some of our most precious memories. At this particular fair I think I was 11 or 12. At one booth you could sign your name and the computer would print an assessment of your personality. It was revolutionary. Grandpa got me one. This is what it says...

"Your Personality

You are active and full of life and never let anything get you down. You have a genuine interest in people. Sometimes you act in an unfriendly manner. You are sympathetic and a good listener. You tend to bottle up your feelings, loosen up. You enjoy challenge but avoid conflict. You remain dignified, even under stress. You are always ready for self-sacrifice. You find it difficult to accept compliments. You have a talent for getting along with people. Your approach to life should be a little more realistic. You're a no-nonsense type, who thrives on intellectual challenges."

It makes me really miss my Grandpa. I remember how he laughed when he read it. I also remember thinking it wasn't very right. It's amazing how dumb we are at 12.

1 comment:

Karalene Ludlow said...

I was going to say ... that sounds alot like the Steph I know! :) Miss you girlie!