Monday, December 21, 2009

Is this where the panic sets in?

Have I mentioned that I love my apartment? Well, I do. I moved in on Valentine's Day of 2008. Finding it was preceded by about 14 moves around Missoula trying to find the proper fit. When I walked into this one I loved it instantly and waited out about seven other college girls to schmooze the current resident into agreeing to give me the nod with the landlord. She did and it was love.

This Valentine's Day I'll be in the mountains of Arizona married for one day. And someone else will be living here. It's taken a long time for me to accept that but tonight I was a big girl and finally gave my landlord some notice. It feels really final to be giving this up but, at the same time, really good that I'll be able to pass the pad to someone I choose.

That's how the tradition works with my landlord. She lives on the other side of the country so each time the apartment passes hands the former tenant chooses the new one. When I moved in here Katie said to me, "You know, the last four women have each lived here about two years and moved out to be with their partners. We're dubbing this place 'The Last Bachelorette Pad'. You've been warned!" I scoffed openly and thanked her for the key.

She just smiled knowingly.

I have to say, it's not a bad feeling to pass that kind of luck on to another girl.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So does it help at all that you are moving from there into a house? And you will have it to yourself most of the time a least for about a month :)

- Michael

Kate said...

Maybe I should move to Missoula to the Last Bachelorette Pad...Just kidding...That would be silly for me...or would it?

Hahaha...I crack myself up sometimes. I guess that's because I've had 3 snow days and no desire to even try to leave my apartment.

-Kate

tara said...

I had the same thought Kate!

Stephanie said...

KateKate! Do! Move! But come to Salt Lake. RaeRae would kill me if I said anything else. :)

Perhaps we should turn it into a sublet and charge people for a couple of weeks in there to improve their luck.

Personally, I think the real key is that the apartment is just so good you never want to leave so God immediately goes, "Oh yeah?!"